Although I don’t (yet) write in this genre, I have an unabashed love of paranormal romance. There’s a simple reason why. If you are like me, you can guess what happens in a lot of romance books after reading the first chapter. Aggravating, isn’t it? There’s a certain logical path many of them take, and it isn’t hard to guess.
However, when it is a paranormal romance, the rules may have changed or you can find yourself in a place where there are no rules. My brain loves a surprise it didn’t see coming, and this genre is perfect to get my romance fix and keep my brain happy!
I thought about only giving you a top 5, but since my favorite author will take up three spots… I extended it to 10! Here they are:
1. Succubus Blues (The Georgina Kincaid Series) by Richelle Mead
2. Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy Series) by Richelle Mead
3. Bloodlines (Bloodlines Series) by Richelle Mead
4. One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress Series) Jeaniene Frost
5. First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson Series) by Darynda Jones
6. A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries Series) by Elizabeth Hunter
7. Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series) by JR Ward
8. Magic Bites (Kate Daniels Series) by Ilona Andrews
9. Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires) by Chloe Neill
10. Nice Girls Don’t Have Fangs (Jane Jameson Series) by Molly Harper
All these books are the first ones in their series. They have different levels of sarcasm and heat, but those two vital elements are present in each of them. Some are YA, and some you can hear sizzle when you open the book. Even better, these stories have strong female protagonists and heart-stopping leading men.
Yes, Richelle Mead is taking up three spots, but if you read her you’ll see why. Georgina Kincaid and Vampire Academy are hands down my favorites.
If you haven’t ventured into this genre before, I encourage you to give it a chance. Let me know what you think! Do you know of a great paranormal series that isn’t on the list? I’d love to hear about it.